The main goal of a vacation is to get away from it all. But travelers often miss some of the comforts of home. It's hard living out of a suitcase and making sure you have cash on hand any time you want to eat. If you prefer the conveniences of home to the restricted space of a hotel room, think about searching for a vacation rental at your travel destination. This is much simpler than you might think it is. Sites like VRBO and AirBnB make booking vacation rentals easy peasy. There are several advantages to choosing a vacation rental over a hotel room. Here are our eight best reasons for booking a rental home instead.
1. Vacation rentals are usually friendlier on the bank account than hotels are, especially when you consider what you get for your money. Vacation rental rates are often less than a comparable hotel room, and the nightly rate usually decreases for extended stays. For example, a rental owner might charge $200 per night but $1,100 per week (7 days), saving you $300 versus a $200/night hotel room. On top of those savings, vacation rentals can house more people, making it possible to split the cost.
2. There's plenty of room to breathe. In a hotel room, your space is limited. The room acts as your bedroom and living room (and sometimes kitchen, too). And chances are you'll be living straight out of your suitcase. Unless your vacation rental is a studio apartment, there will be defined rooms, including a living area, bedrooms, and kitchen. You'll be able to hang your clothes in the closet and store your suitcase out of sight.
3. Having a kitchen means you won't have to dine out for every meal or be restricted to certain dining times. In the interest of saving money on food, swing by the local market and pick up a few staples: cereal or bagels for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, etc. And when you get thirsty, you won't have to resort to drinking lukewarm tap water or spending a fortune on the mini bar.
4. You can choose your lodging based on your lifestyle. Need a place on the beach? In the middle of the city? Prefer to stay close to a suburb? No problem! It's easy to find a house or a flat pretty much anywhere within a given location.
5. Pets can join in on the family fun! No need to worry about seeking out a hotel that allows pets (which can be pretty difficult). Many vacation rentals allow pets with a small deposit or fee. If you're renting a single family home, you might even have a back yard for your dog to run around.
6. Vacation rentals are usually mroe kid-friendly. A lot of rental owners are more than happy to make certain accomodations for their guests. Your house or apartment might even include a playpen or crib, which means your travel load will be lighter. Most rentals also have various forms of entertainment, like board games, DVDs, or spacious yards for outdoor fun.
7. The amenities are numerous! There's a good chance that the rental will have a washer and dryer, free parking, kitchen necessities, linens, free cable and internet access, and possibly a private pool or spa. There shouldn't be any hidden fees whatsoever.
8. Owners of vacation rentals are almost always ready to provide their guests with helpful information. Renters will often find packets including literature about their vacation destination, recommendations for activities, and info about nearby restaurants and stores. Many owners try to make themselves available to answer any questions guests might have about the area. Some will even help you book tours or take you on a guided tour themselves.
Have you ever stayed in a vacation rental? What was your experience with it? Tell us in the comments below!